Hamburger Menu in Android 10
Android 10 brings with it the new gesture-based navigation system. Swiping from the left edge of the screen now works as a back gesture. Earlier it used to reveal side hamburger menu. Hamburger menus have been the part of android since the beginning. The app developers use them for easy navigation within the app. Now the best way of accessing the menu is to tap on the hamburger icon at the top left corner of the screen. However, if we scroll down the page, this hamburger icon vanishes, and to access the menu, we have to navigate back to the top. Here is some potential solution to the problem.
Solution 1: Middle Swipe Gesture
Developers can modify their apps so that swiping towards the left from the middle of the app reveals the hamburger menu.
- Some apps have tabs, and middle swipe is already mapped to switch these tabs.
- Might interfere with the existing app elements like Photo slider.
Solution 2: Only Right Side Back Gesture
Google can modify the gestures in the next iteration of the android to enable swipe from the right edge to go back. In this way, swipe from the left edge will reveal the hamburger menu.
Left-handed users prefer swiping from the left edge as the back gesture.
Solution 3: Floating Hamburger
A floating hamburger icon either on the top left or the bottom left corner of the app to reveal hamburger menu. The icon at the bottom would be better considering the tall aspect ratio of modern phones and one-handed usability.
- UI has to be redesigned to fit the extra button on the screen.
- Might interfere with the existing elements in the app.
I will go with Solution 3: Floating Hamburger. It is easy to implement in most of the apps by the developer. No need to change anything in Android OS. Works without interfering with the android’s gesture-based navigation system.
How to track?
- Beta testing and feedback from the beta users.
- Tracking matrices like Number of clicks per user per hour.
Causes of failure
- User may not find a button as intuitive as swiping gesture.
- For a few apps adding an extra button on the screen might ruin the overall experience.
I hope like this story. Visit my blog for more such stories.